Monday, March 31, 2008

El Chiki Chiki

Last weekend when I was in Vienna, Jorge, my travel mate, asked me if I had heard "el chiki chiki". Of course, I hadn't. He told me I had to listen to that song. It was the song which is going to represent Spain in the next Eurovision song contest.

El Chiki Chiki is sung by Rodolfo Chikilicuatre, a character in a famous comedy show conducted by Andreu Buenafuente, maybe the best Spanish comedian in the last 5 years. The song is clearly a joke and some lyrics are hilarious! How could it be chosen for Eurovision then???

In Spain, in my opinion, nobody cares about that festival. It is seen as a contest in which politics and country friendship are more important than the actual song. Therefore, nobody takes it seriously any more. RTVE, the Spanish national television, decided to start a vote in the Internet to chose whatever song people proposed. Songs where uploaded in a website and people just voted. El chiki chiki must have been a prank at the beginning, but people started voting for it and there it is: it has become the Spanish song for Eurovision 2008!



The video with English subtitles is here.

This song going to an international contest representing Spain tells a lot of us as a country :) As that old motto said: Spain is different!

No comments: