Friday, April 24, 2009

Los Angeles according to Jack Kerouac

Last night, when I was flying from Washington to LA, I experienced a feeling that repeats quite often when I am arriving at Los Angeles... It is becoming familiar by now... and that is kind of scary!

The first time I experienced this feeling was when I came back from Mexico last Thanksgiving vacation. I was in an airport shuttle coming back home and Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge" started playing in the radio. We were almost 10 people in the van and nobody talking to each other... I looked around and we were in a huge traffic jam... then, I noticed every car stuck in it had only one person inside, which I assumed was driving in absolute silence (except by the music they were listening to). That made me feel something like utter loneliness. I don't know how to put it into words, but you can figure it out from my description.

Yesterday, I was reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac, one of the most important novels in English in the 20th century and I read the following sentence. Wait... before writing it down, I should maybe explain the book is about a guy from New York who decides to travel West (such a simplification!! hahaha). Ok, now I must say the guy just got to LA and this is the feeling the city creates in him:

"LA is the loneliest and brutal of the American cities; New York gets god-awful cold in the winter but there is a feeling of wacky comradeship somewhere in the streets. LA is a jungle."

Wow. Wordless... ;)

No comments: