Friday, October 19, 2007

My future

Well, I promised some time ago in a comment that I would soon talk about how my future looked like. Actually, things appear to be becoming clearer and clearer. Let me explain a bit the background...

First of all, I decided at the beginning of the year that I would apply for a PhD program somewhere in the world: US, Japan or Europe. For the US, I applied for the Fulbright Scholarship in Spain; for Japan, I contacted a professor through my former supervisor in JAXA; and for Europe, I talked to people in ESTEC. After that, the Spanish Fulbright commision contacted me and asked me if I was interested in applying for an international award given by the US Department of State. Of course I agreed and prepared the required GRE exam. Months passed by and the first bad news arrived... I could not go to the Fulbright scholarship interview in Madrid, coz it was coincident in time with my trip to New York, Chicago and Washington...

After that, I was really sure I would end up in Japan. However, on 23rd September, yes, on my birthday, I received an email saying I had been awarded the prestigious International Fulbright Science and Technology Award 2008!! That means the US Department of State will pay for all my PhD and I will go to one of the best universities in the country! For this award, the national commisions of 109 countries proposed their candidates and only 40 people were selected. And I was amongst them!! I had had the honour of representing Spain in such a prestigious prize and I had got through!! Therefore, they will apply on my behalf to 5 universities I chose this week: CalTech (JPL), MIT, Stanford, UCLA and Ohio State University.

In parallel, I still continue with the application for Japan, for Tokyo Institute of Technology, just in case I don't get accepted in Caltech... in that case, I would possibly have to reconsider US or Japan... but it is hard to turn down a fully funded PhD in the US.

So that is how things are at the moment! So don't be surprised if I move to California next September (Caltech, Stanford or UCLA)!!

6 comments:

David Fernandez Prim said...

Tio, dejame ser el primero en felicitarte (almenos en el blog :-)) por esta gran noticia, y desearte mucha suerte en esta aventura!. De echo ya hablaremos de ello en ESTEC :-). Nos vemos!

David

Wild Runner said...

FUNDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Enhorabuena Álvaro, estaba claro que si alguien se lo merecía ése eras tú.

Qué quieres que te diga ... se impone un viajecito de colegas a California a visitarte (mínimo una semana). A ver si el dinero nos acompaña XDDDD

Me alegro mucho, de verdad. Te lo mereces ;)

JorgeSS said...

Enhorabuenísima!!! Te vas a comer el mundo campeón!!!

yebbey said...

Enhorabueno Alvaro! That is really good news. :) Your future is well arranged for quite some time now. Alvaro ichi ban!!!!

akycrack said...

Enhorabuena! Si te vas a una de esas universidades americanas no olvides apuntarte a alguna hermandad beta gamma y FUNDIRLES.

Rikel said...

Congratuleeeeiiisiooons
Tocho entre Tochos

Aunque yo de tí me vendría a Valencia...