Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Vienna

After my trip to Egypt, and once Naoko was back to Japan and travelling in Indonesia, I have been visiting Central/Eastern Europe. So far, I have visited what could be called the "Big Three": Prague, Budapest and Vienna.

Last Easter vacation (2 weeks ago), I went 2 days to Vienna with Jorge Sanchez and afterwards, 2 more days to Budapest, where David Fernandez joined us. Last weekend (I came back this morning!), I went on my own to Prague. Of the three cities, the one I have liked the most has been Prague, followed by Budapest and Vienna in the third position. This week, I will post some photos I took in these cities. Let's start in chronological order. Therefore, it is Vienna's turn.

Vienna is a magnificent city, with huge beautiful buildings everywhere and the weight of history on its shoulders. However, for my current taste, it looks just like any other beautiful Western European city. After places like Istanbul or Egypt, I am looking for more exotic places!

Some nice places in Vienna are these:

- Stephansdom (St. Stephen's Cathedral): this is Vienna's cathedral and one of the most famous sights in the city. Its coloured listed roof is impressive



- View of the City Hall from the entrance of the Imperial Palace.



- The Austrian Parliament



- Karlskirche (St. Charles' Church)



- The statue of Johann Strauss



- Belvedere Palace



- Schönbrunn Castle: this one is UNESCO's World Heritage site



In short, Vienna is cool and elegant!

No comments: