Thursday, May 29, 2008

Around Bergen

My trip to Norway started last Friday in the afternoon. Felipe and I took a KLM direct flight from Amsterdam to Bergen and in 1.5h, we were arriving at the Norwegian West coast. The landscape was really beautiful: a really broken coastline with hundreds of islands everywhere and the snowed-peak of high mountains nearby. The landing in Bergen was one of the most beautiful I have ever gone through. If you go to Bergen, do whatever it takes to get a window seat!! :)



Once in Bergen, after we met Morten in the airport, we found out, the city was surrounded by mountains and fjords everywhere. The highlight of this part of Norway is clearly nature! The city was composed of colourful houses perched on the mountains nearby or lying at the bottom of the valley.



And once we arrived at downtown, we visited the first World Heritage Site we were going to see during our stay, the Bryggen. This part is the oldest in town and dates back to the 1300s. The colourful facades where just the beginning. At the back, there is still some nice wooden architecture worth visiting!




Afterwards, we took a tram going to the top of the closest mountain and enjoyed the beautiful sight of the town and islands around.



And then, we went hiking in the mountains for a while before we came back to town on foot, to enjoy a typical Norwegian dinner with some cod fish.



After dinner, we met one of Morten's friends and some other people Felipe knew and partied in local pubs. While we were partying, I noticed some disturbing features of the sunlight there, dusk started at around 10pm and it did not get dark until around midnight!! and it did not get really dark!! You could still see blue in the sky!! Sorry for the bad quality of the following picture, but in it you can see the colour of the sky at 2.30am! Far too blue...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Catch me ... if you can! :)

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you don't have a donate button! I'd without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for
book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook
group. Talk soon!

my site :: news

Anonymous said...

My partner and I absolutely love your blog and find most of your post's to be just what I'm looking
for. Does one offer guest writers to write content in your case?
I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome blog!

Feel free to surf to my blog post noticias