Monday, August 24, 2009

Yellowstone NP (III). Mammoth Hot Springs & Roosevelt Lodge

When I arrived at Yellowstone, I did not have a place to sleep at night. So, first thing was finding some campsite. It was not an easy task, and I was lucky I went there pretty early in the morning! By 11am there are no free campsite in all the park!! (Although it has some thousand campsites!!!) I got a place in Indian Creek, around 100km from the South Entrance! Quite a drive. That campground is near the North Entrance, so I decided to head North and visit Mammoth Hot Springs.

This is the first glance I had on that site:



These hot springs' water is rich in sulfur and other minerals and that creates very colorful ponds and falls. Mountains take also stepped shapes. Quite surprising...







After Mammoth Hot Springs, I drove East, following the Northern Loop road to Roosevelt Lodge. The landscape was really beautiful and green.




The lodge was built by Theodore Roosevelt at the beginning of the 20th century. This president was one of the most important person in the establishments of National Parks across the USA. For some reason, I did not take any photo of the lodge itself. This is the gate to it though.



Next to Roosevelt Lodge, some impressive landscape: Tower Fall. The volcanic origin of Yellowstone started being revealed. And the reason why it is called YellowStone was started being clear... (still clearer after the Canyon of the Yellowstone!)




This is Tower Fall. Note the pinacles next to the fall. Quite picturesque!




Then, I followed the Northern loop road towards the South.

No comments: